Kensun is one of the highest rated air compressor manufacturers today. Whenever we get the chance to review one of their products, we get a little excited. After all, a quality product makes for a quality review.The Kensun multi-use portable air compressor has a 90+% 5 star rating on Amazon, so we wanted to see what made this compressor stand out.
We found a lot of good things to discuss from our use of this compressor. There are also some things you’ll want to take note of if you’re thinking about purchasing it today.
The Strengths of the Kensun Multi-Use Portable Air Compressor
- It is extremely compact and easy to carry. This inflator/compressor literally looks like a small air compressor. Its compact size allows you to place it almost anywhere and it will fill up just about anything. A handle you can access next to the pressure gauge lets you move this unit around even when it begins to run hot.
- It fills at a pace of 7-10 PSI per minute. We found that it operates best in conditions that are above 60F. If it’s cold outside, you might want to move your car or inflatables into the garage to reach the right PSI level. When operating at a peak performance, we could reach about 10 PSI per minute. In cold conditions, we were lucky to hit 3 PSI per minute on some tires.
- The pressure gauge is extremely easy to read. It’s big and it sits right in front of your face. Like most compressors of this style, the needle tends to vibrate a little bit when the unit is operating, but it will give you a practical look at what is going one.
The Weaknesses of the Kensun Multi-Use Portable Air Compressor
- Its design is a little misleading. When you look at pictures of this unit or video of it operating, it seems like the Kensun compressor can operate on an independent power source. It cannot. You need a 12v connection and you’ll want your car running if you have more than just one tire or inflatable to fill. The power cords is about 10 feet long, which is suitable enough, but the air hose is only about 2 feet in length, so that can make things a bit difficult.
- It may struggle with some larger inflatables. If you’re filling some sports equipment or maybe a twin-sized air mattress, then this portable compressor can get the job done pretty effectively. If you’ve got a king sized air mattress, a 3 person towable inflatable, or something a bit large, you’ll want to look for a larger air compressor or inflator to meet your needs.
- It gets hot pretty quickly. Even if you’re using this compressor outdoors or in a well-ventilated area, it only takes about 10-15 minutes for it to begin running hot. If it runs too hot, then it smells like you’re burning the outer insulation coating of the wiring within the unit. We recommend using it for about 5-7 minutes, then allowing it to cool 1-2 minutes for best results.
No air compressor is 100% perfect. What we found with the Kensun multi-use portable air compressor was a useful item which, if properly managed, can take care of your inflation needs pretty effectively. That’s why we have no hesitation in recommending this item today.